Monday, April 11, 2016

Everything Everything

Hello everyone! I’m so excited to talk about today’s book and share an exciting announcement. Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon is an absolutely stunning book with a very unique dilemma.  This book was listed in a previous post as one of my favorite books of 2015.

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

Sounds good right? WELL IT’S EVEN BETTER. Yoon sure does know how to tell a story. Her writing style was so easy to read and mixed throughout the book were quirky drawings, notes, and journal entries illustrated by her husband. They made the story so much more than your typical y/a contemporary. The story was also told through a series of emails between Maddy and Olly which I found hilarious. The short chapters were named which I loved as well.



 “I love how real this plot felt. Like, it wasn’t perfect and things didn’t always go as planned. It was messy and wonderful and scary all at once”

Maddy’s character development throughout the book was so fun to experience. I’ve never read a book where the main character has such a unique disease and it was fascinating to read about. As Maddy began to experience the world for the first time she became bolder and more driven. Olly was the kind of guy that when you first “meet” him he looks like the A-typical bad boy. But, as the story progresses he becomes so much more than that and you slowly discover there’s more to him than you thought.

The family dynamics in this story were interesting as well.  Maddy and Olly’s family life were so drastically different. At the end of the book the characters do something marvelously surprising. It’s as if you are going on a whole new adventure with them and I loved it! Yoon also throws in a heart wrenching twist at the very end. I would tell you but…no spoilers ;) I love how real this plot felt. Like, it wasn’t perfect and things didn’t always go as planned. It was messy and wonderful and scary all at once. This book was everything everything.


Language: Moderate
Alcohol/drugs: An adult is an alcoholic
Violence: There is some domestic violence between Olly’s parents and brawls between Olly and his dad because of it
Sexual Content: Olly’s friend mentions being gay but is only in one brief chapter and is not further dwelt upon. Maddy sees Olly in a swimsuit for the first time and we read her reaction. There is a scene of the sexual nature that is a little more descriptive than usual and more than I would have liked but it wasn't explicit.
Spiritual Content: None that I can remember

~ Special Announcement ~

 I am declaring the month of May "Middle Grade" May. Let me elaborate a little. Throughout the entire month of May all my reviews will be of Middle Grade books. These reviews will be heavily written towards the audience of the parental nature with more in-depth content reviews.

So far, I am reviewing Some Kind of Courage by Dan Gemeinhart & Percy Jackson and The Olympians Book One: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. I need three more books to review and I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could give me some suggestions. Seriously, I need some suggestions. Just hit me up in the Contact Me box off to the side and let me know.

Currently Reading: Sudden Mission by Guy L. Pace

Next Post: Full Review of The Love That Split the World by Emily Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment